Most dog owners know the common foods that dogs shouldn't have like grapes or chocolate, but there are many others that are just as dangerous.
Below is a list of "human" foods that should never be given to dogs.
Alcohol - Alcohol has the same effect on dogs as humans only it takes 1/10 the amount to cause serious, life altering symptoms which include vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, coma, abnormal blood flow and death.
Chocolate/ Caffeine/ Coffee - They all contain Methylxanthines that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and death.
If your dog steals a chocolate chip cookie or your kids slips Fido a piece of chocolate under the table, relax, it takes a lot more chocolate than that to cause an issue. It would take a pound of chocolate to be considered poisonous for a 20 pound dog, and the average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of chocolate, so it would take 2 to 3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Of course, the type of chocolate consumed will play a big part in determining treatment; dark chocolate is the most dangerous and white chocolate, the least.
Grapes / Raisins - No ones sure of the exact reason why grapes and raisins have the effect they do on dogs but research shows dogs who consume even small amounts develop kidney failure and quite rapidly.
Garlic / Onions - There's a common misconception that garlic can be fed in small doses to ward off fleas or ticks and to treat some skin alignments in dogs. Garlic, in fact, is very toxic even in small doses. Garlic damages red blood cells and will lead to anemia. small doses are equivalent to poisoning your dog slowly over time.
While onions are less toxic they can have the same effect.
Raw Eggs - Raw eggs use to be thought to give dogs a shiny coat, that is not the case. The enzymes in raw eggs can interfere with the absorption of Vitamin B which can lead to skin irritations and even a dull, flat coat. Not to mention the potential for Salmonella or E.Coli.
Macadamia Nuts - As few as 6 raw or roasted Macadamia nuts are enough to cause muscle tremors, weakness or even paralysis, vomiting, depression and hypothermia.
Xylitol - which is found in some bake goods, candy, gum, some pops and other sweets can lead to an increase in insulin levels which can result in a drop in blood sugar levels and cause seizures or death. If your dogs gets a hold of a pack of gum and ingest it, you have a major problem.
If your dog ingest any of these things, call your veterinary doctor right away. Inducing vomiting using Hydrogen Peroxide (1 teaspoon per 10lbs) may be the best course of action, but depending on when you found the culprit and their snack, it may no longer be an option.
Dogs are sneaky and are almost always on the prowl for something to munch on so be sure to keep food up and off counters, and out of reach of talented paws or long noses that may know how to open cupboards or refrigerators!
With over 10 years of experience through ownership and rescue work, I hope to share my knowledge and insight to happier, healthier fur kids. Have a question, feel free to ask!