Warmer weather is finally here and I know that means many of us will be outside with our fur kids, mowing the lawn, watering flowers and planting gardens.
As dog owner's, not only do we have to be mindful of the temperatures and weather conditions, but we also need to be mindful of the types of plants we use in our gardens. Below is a list of common house or garden plants that are dangerous to dogs.
If your fur kid gets a little too adventurous while outdoors and ingests any of these plants or flowers, be sure to contact your veterinary right away.
My husband thinks tomato's are gross, but I eat a bowl of diced up tomatoes as a snack, they're delicious, but dangerous for your dogs. Tomatoes themselves are toxic and so are the plants they grow on. If your dog eats a tomato or tomato plant be on the look out for symptoms such as; over production of saliva, severe gastrointestinal upset, diarrhea, weakness, slow heart rate, dilate pupils, confusion, and drowsiness.
My grandmother use to grow Aloe plants on their back porch and would grab one as soon as my brother or I had a scratch or cut that needed soothing. Surprisingly, Aloe, if ingested by your dog, is toxic and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, changes in urine color, tremors or anorexia.
Apple Trees (including Crabapples)
While apples themselves are not toxic (with exception of the seeds which contain cyanide) the trees they grow on are. The stems and leaves of apple trees contain Cyanogenic glycosides and can cause excessive panting, shock, mucus membranes such as the gums, to turn bright red, dilated pupils and difficulty breathing.
While these cute little flowers can add some extra fullness to the bouquet your husband bought you, they can be dangerous to your pooch if ingested. Diarrhea and vomiting are in your future if your dog decides they don't only look pretty, but they look appetizing as well.
Though you may not know what they're called, Begonia's are common flowers in many neighborhood gardens and hanging baskets. They are also very toxic to dogs and can cause symptoms such as intense burning and irritation of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing.
Branching Ivy may add a special magical touch to the arch way leading into your garden or climbing up the fixtures in your garden, it can cause abdominal pain, over production of saliva, diarrhea and vomiting, if ingested by your dog. The berries are also toxic, but the most toxic part of this plant is the foliage.
Mint might just be your secret weapon against stomach pains, but for your dog it can cause diarrhea, vomiting or even liver failure.
Mums are a favorite of mine for their low maintenance style and bright colors, but they are dangerous for dogs. Ingestion can lead to diarrhea, vomiting, skin dermatitis, over production of saliva and incoordination.
I really enjoy the Hibiscus flowers that grow along the side of my house, but I am always leery of the dogs when they are outside the gated area as ingestion of this flower can cause diarrhea, vomiting and nausea. Pretty to look at, but not so pretty to ingest.
Garden Hyacinth are another favorite for the low-maintenance gardener, but they can cause a series of unpleasant side effects if ingested by your dog; vomiting, diarrhea, skin dermatitis or other allergic reaction. While the whole plants is toxic the most toxic component are the bulbs.
Garlic, in small doses, use to be used as a flea repellent, but research has shown prolonged exposure, even is small doses, is toxic and can poison your dog. Symptoms include vomiting, weakness, elevated heart rate, excessive panting and the breakdown of red blood cells as well as bloody urine.
My grandmother use to make an amazing Rhubarb pie with freshly grown Rhubarb from their garden, so good! For your dog, it could be a deadly pie as Rhubarb can cause the over production of saliva, tremors and even kidney failure.
Lily of the Valley
I remember adoring these flowers in my grandfathers garden, they were always my favorite. While they appear sweet and harmless they are actually very toxic to dogs. Irregular heart beat, coma, seizures, disorientation, vomiting, and low blood pressure are just some of the symptoms you could see if your pooch decided to pig out on this cute little flowers.
With over 10 years of experience through ownership and rescue work, I hope to share my knowledge and insight to happier, healthier fur kids. Have a question, feel free to ask!